Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Angels Rejoice on Halloween

It was a cool October evening when children all over the community were eagerly awaiting nightfall so they could venture through the pump2-20neighborhoods to trick or treat for Halloween. As a young boy, Halloween just seemed to be a fun holiday.
However, on this particular Halloween night in 1967, things would be far from normal for me. Of course, my little mind and body were so excited to walk the neighborhood to gather the treats provided on Halloween night … but, on this Halloween night, our small church was holding revival services. In spite of it being the annual holiday that so often focuses on the spiritual evil in this world, our church was focusing on the hope and salvation found in Jesus.
I remember very little about that night at church. I am sure the music was energetic and the preaching was passionate … but, as a child, I am sure I was not fully engaged. Regardless of all the distractions of the holiday God was at work in the revival service on that Halloween night.
His Holy Spirit was so evident in the service that at the time of invitation I knew that I had to respond to His call to salvation. I couldn’t explain anything about theology or any other spiritual concepts. What I did know was that I was a sinner, separated from God by my sin. God wanted to reconcile me to Himself.
That cool October Halloween evening, I reached up and took my Mother’s hand during the invitation hymn and drug her down the center isle. At the front of the church, I took my father’s hand (who was the interim pastor) and told him that I wanted to accept Jesus into my life.
It was on that night that “The Angels Rejoiced on Halloween.” The scripture says, “I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.” (Luke 15:7, NIV)
On that Halloween, I was that sinner who repented. That’s right, there was rejoicing in Heaven when I came to know Jesus as my Lord and Savior. That decision was The Most Important Thing I had ever done before or since. Read more of my story HERE.
Halloween may mean a lot of things to a lot of people, but for me, it always reminds me that it was the day when my eternal destiny was changed forever. It became my spiritual birthday. It was a night of spiritual transformation.
Let me encourage you to take every opportunity on this Halloween to share Christ with your family, friends and neighbors. Our family will pass out evangelistic tracts for children with candy this Halloween. Maybe your church is doing an outreach event or a Fall revival … if so, give it your full support … lives can be changed through the power of Jesus Christ. You never know when God may use you as a human tool or a voice to draw a child, teenager or adult to Himself. When one of those sinners repents and comes to Christ, we will again see “The Angels Rejoice on Halloween.”

No comments: